The Holt – MM&K – Buyouts North American PE Compensation Survey 2020 – in comparison to the UK/Europe results
November 27, 2020
MM&K and Holt Private Equity Consultants have recently published the results of the North American PE Compensation Survey. This survey is the sister survey of our European PE and VC Compensation study. The results from the North American survey make for interesting reading.
The survey analyses compensation data from 126 fund management entities. They provided information on 5,663 incumbents, employed in 46 different positions, ranging from analyst to managing general partner on the investment side and receptionist to chief operating officer on the administrative side.
The US headlines vs UK/Europe headlines include:
- This year Partner level investment professionals saw their highest base salary increase for over 10 years – 14%.
- For non-partner level investment professionals, the median total cash (salary + bonus) increased by 25% in the US; the comparative increase in the UK/Europe was 18%.
- The standard model for carry plans of two and twenty still pertains both in the US as well as in the UK/Europe.
- The partners tend to take 69% of the carry pot in the US and 61% in the UK/Europe.
- The vesting of carry plans now is spread over a longer period. The typical length of time that it takes to get to full vesting is now eight years in the US. In the UK/Europe, the vesting is typically spread over seven years for partners and 10 years for other participants.
- The base salary for junior investment professionals in the US, based on the current exchange rate, is on average about 18% higher than that of their UK/European colleagues.
If you would like to have a look at a copy of the Preview of the 2020 North American PE Compensation report please click here.
Copies of the North American survey report are available to be purchased from us at a price of £3,500 (plus VAT).